Friday, September 24, 2010

Near-Death Experience

Do you see anything wrong with this picture:
100924_0554
No? Well neither did I, until it was almost too late. Let's look a bit closer:

100924_0554arrow
There's a potential danger there, but it's too early to tell. And if you're not expecting anything, you won't see it yet. Well, get ready for the big reveal:
100924_0555
Eeek! There is definitely some arachnid potential going on there. Lucky for you, there is still plenty of distance between us and the large creepy-crawly object. Unfortunately, I did not have the same advantage a few moments earlier.
100924_0556
See how he's definitely under the overhang of the carport? A safe distance from the typical passerby? He's also curled up a bit, getting ready for a nap or something. Again, this was not my original experience. When I first encountered him, he was more the size of this:
100924_0556zoom
And he was dangling in mid-air, well away from the carport overhang. He was shoulder height, smack in the middle of the sidewalk. And I didn't see him until I was literally two inches away. TWO INCHES. Not only that, but he was not curled up. He was stretched to his full size, which is anything but small.

After I realized how close I came to having this guy as body jewelry, I ran home as fast as I could and hopped in the shower. 

Half a bottle of soap and several paper-bag breathing treatments later, I grabbed my camera (with the awesome zoom lens so I wouldn't have to endanger my life again), and documented the evidence for all to see.

It was a very close call.

10 comments:

Brett and Andrea Evers said...

First- I love the look of your blog. It's very cute!
Second- YUCK, YUCK, YUCK! That would have freaked me out. My screaming would have woke the dead. I had to laugh about the half a bottle of soap and the breathing treatments.

Esther said...

GROSS!! I think I just threw-up a little..in my mouth. I'm pretty sure I would have fainted. you were very brave to even GO BACK THERE! I definitely would have brought a can of bug spray with me. I like your blog, but have to say that since you moved everything I might be confused for a while and spend way too much time trying to click on the right side of the screen instead of the left. :)

Esther said...

p.s. as long as that thing is there, it is safe to say that I will not be there to visit...so you better go eliminate it!

Mark Nott said...

you are a true hero

All About M.E.('s) said...

Wow, that's huge! And to think that mere days ago you almost had me convinced to move to CA to get away from Utah spiders. :)

Zachary said...

Welcome to Cali! Spiders spring up everywhere!

The Wright's said...

Ha ha!!! Glad you survived. I hope you celebrated your extra days at the beach!

Smiley Family said...

How did I miss this post?! Man, we are having bad luck with spiders lately, aren't we? So, guess what? "Gus" has a friend! No kidding. I have not one, but two of those nasty spiders in my backyard! Time to call an exterminator.

P.S. I would have freaked out too if I had come so close! Terrible!!

Meg Stocks said...

Eeeek - spiders! Proud to be a JS CT member with you! Hugs, Meg

Emily Cheney said...

Oh MY gosh! That is such a BIG gross spider! He will be haunting my dreams tonight! haha :)