Wednesday, August 4, 2010

What color is your collar?

Hunter's recent career change from a "white collar" profession to a "blue collar" job has understandably provoked varied responses. There are those who don't understand why someone would leave what is considered a respectable career for one in an industry not usually considered prestigious. There are others who commend him for pursing a childhood dream. As for my opinion...well, it depends on the day.

The truth is that this has been a difficult transition. For the first time in over seven years my husband and I are not employed by the same company. Keep in mind that we've only been married for (almost) four years, so we've been working together for quite a while! I am used to being around him. I'm used to having him there. It's comfortable, and it's safe. I prefer it this way. He prefers it this way, too.

So why would we change this? Why would a rational, mature adult choose a blue collar job over a white collar job? Why would two people who are accustomed to being together all the time decide to do something that keeps them apart for days or weeks at a time?

Well, let me tell you why. He's following his heart. And when all is said and done, is there anything more important than that? I say no. Absolutely not.

Especially when it gets us closer to our goal of travelling full-time. Which is the true goal for us. You see, someday in the not-too-distant future, I plan to hop into the cab of Hunter's truck and become a professional road-tripper.

As you can see, there is some definite method to our madness. :)

P.S. There is a really well-written article here about the compelling nature of hands-on, blue-collar type jobs and why we shouldn't discount the workers who choose these careers. The author has a Ph.D. in political philosophy and runs a small business as a motorcycle mechanic.

7 comments:

Monica Lifferth said...

We wouldn't be in Missourit at 33 and 32 if it wasn't for following dreams. I think it's great. We have one chance at this life, we might as well LIVE it. Good luck!

sandy.johnson said...

What an understanding wife Hunter was blessed with!

Smiley Family said...

I am all for following your heart. Like I said, whatever makes you happy! But, if you are both going to be full-time travelers, then why not base your residence out of Salt lake? ;o) I'm just sayin'!

p.s. Brian thinks Hunters career change is awesome.

All About M.E.('s) said...

Well said Rachael! Your post gave me the chills. I think that it is great! I love how supportive you two are of each other. I think it's awesome!

Honk honk. :)

Nathan and Esther said...

you are pretty much amazing. out of all my jobs, I preferred the 'blue' collar ones because I felt like I was actually accomplishing something. Hang in there!!!!

Zachary said...

Having switched from the White Collar World to the Blue Collar World of oil rigs...I think his choice is awesome. Absolutely nothing wrong with that at all!

Brett and Andrea Evers said...

I like your post. It made me think. I wondered why he would make that drastic change, but it fits perfectly with your goals, so I think it's great. I bet you are really going to miss him when he is away. I hate it when my hubby is out of town!