Friday, July 10, 2009

Memory Lane

The following refers to day fifteen of our journey: Saturday, July 4th.
ak so day 6
Hunter had fixed our air mattress the day before, and I'm happy to report that it held up during the night! Praises! We packed up camp and headed south. On our way out, we stopped to check out this car that had obviously hit a large animal; probably a deer.
090704_5785
090704_5791
It was no surprise that the car was registered to an Albertian...we have discovered that those folks are frightening on the road. They fly by at the craziest speeds, and they have no problem passing on a double yellow. I'm truly surprised we did not see more of these cars on the side of the road. As for cops? Yeah, we didn't see 'em. I'm not sure they even exist in Canada...Hunter saw maybe five on our entire trip. We saw more cops in our first 30 minutes back in the States than we did the entire time we were in Canada! Crazy.

We traveled no more than ten minutes before spotting another black bear; needless to say, I was happy to leave that campground behind! Holy cow, there have been far too many scary furry creatures in this region.

We drove for several hours when Hunter spotted something worth checking out. It was Fort Steele Heritage Town, and they had a steam train ride! Woohoo! No vacation is complete without a train ride, at least if you're with Hunter. :)
090704_5720
090704_5742
090704_5751
090704_5758
The ride took us around to a view of the Kootenai River. The river is gorgeous, and this particular spot was especially impressive. The river is two colors because the St. Mary River joins the Kootenai at this point. As a result, the river looks striped! I thought it was pretty cool.
090704_5759
090704_5762
The train ride itself was pretty short, but fun.
090704_5764
090704_5794
090704_5761
After this worthy diversion, we headed to the border. I thought it was quite fitting to return to the States on Independence Day. :) We crossed the border into Montana, and reached Eureka shortly thereafter. I called my mama to let her know where I was, and she was pretty excited...she grew up in this area. She asked me to find her house, and I told her I really didn't think I'd be able to. I was 11 years old the last time I'd been there...that was more than a few years ago! So, I didn't hold much hope.

Well, we found the main street that leads to the former Lifferth house and decided to give it a shot. Hunter drove slowly and I scanned the side roads to see if anything looked familiar. After driving for several minutes we encountered a road that looked promising. We took our chances...and sure enough, it was the right one! We pulled up in front of the house and almost immediately my eyes welled up. I'm not super-emotional (thanks to the wonders of Prozac) so I could not believe how overcome I was. This little spot in the woods holds so many cherished memories, particularly of my Grandpa who passed away in 1995.
090704_5800
I tried to compose myself while Hunter took a shot of the house. I really wanted to show Hunter around and share some of my memories with him, but we weren't sure if anyone was home and I really did not want to impose. Especially because we had been camping, and I didn't want to scare anyone...lol. Man, I would give anything to have one more Lifferth reunion there in the North Forty, with my Grandpa. I sure wish Hunter could have known him; I think they have a lot in common. :)

We headed back down the road, and eventually drove by Dickie Lake...another spot that is close to my heart. I was just opening my mouth to tell Hunter about the turtles we used to find here, when wouldn't you know it...we saw a turtle in the road!
090704_5801
Hunter stopped to help him off the road so he wouldn't get squished...and the poor guy was trying to run for his life! Unfortunately, he was running back toward the middle of the road so Hunter had to herd him in the other direction. Finally he got the right idea and headed for safety.
090704_5802
We continued driving and eventually stopped in Polson for dinner. Polson sits on the south end of Flathead Lake, and we found a restaurant that overlooked this gorgeous body of water.
090704_5770
090704_5772
It was beautiful; we love this lake. After dinner, we went down to the shore so Hunter could take Old Yeller for a spin.
090704_5783
It was a beautiful evening.

6 comments:

All About M.E.('s) said...

Beautiful pictures. I've said it before, but I will say it again-I have really enjoyed reading about your trip!
I was just telling Marty today that I wish that he had been around to know Grandpa-good man that guy was.
Did you not go to Grandpa's funeral? Maybe you were on your mission?? Our family keeps wanting to plan a vacation to Montana--maybe next summer? You and Hunter should come along when we do go.

Nathan and Esther said...

I'm glad you got to go see the Lifferth home...what a neat experience. Is Hunter thinking of becoming a turtle herder? Sounds like he'd make a good one!

The Carter Family: said...

Oh! I love the picture of their house-it almost made me cry just looking at it! There were many, many fun memories made there!! I'm glad you made it home safe and sound!

The Wright's said...

I've been reading along and LOVING every minute! I'm in awe - can you NOT take a bad picture? I can't wait to buy the new 2010 calendar!

What an incredible trip. I just wish I could go along (as long as I don't have to drive!) We are planning a Montana trip next year. That's my favorite place in the world. Hands down.

Thanks for sharing your trip!

ang said...

that's so cool that you found the house!!!!!!! made me want to cry too!

Smiley Family said...

I have always wished Brian could have met Grandpa...someday he will. And I agree, I would love to have one more reunion at the north forty. There are so many memories there and I feel like the older I get, the more I forget. I am glad you found the home. Even though it looks different (more modern) than it used to, it will always hold a special place in my heart.