Friday, July 3, 2009

Lazy Tourists

The following refers to day eight of our journey: Saturday, June 27th.

We hadn’t really planned anything for Saturday, so we slept in. I was so glad Hunter finally got to catch up on his sleep; I really don’t know how he does it. He loves to drive, and has been doing it endlessly for the last week. Now that he has a chance to stop and rest, I think it finally caught up to him. Of course, I didn’t want to disturb him so I had no choice but to sleep in too {wink, wink}. I’m not going to tell you what time we got out of bed, but by the time we left the house it was afternoon! We headed out hoping to find a little park with some water so Hunter could run his boat. Instead, we ended up at Potter Marsh.
090627_5188
090627_5198
090627_5553
We saw a lot of birds there, and I love watching them dive-bomb for fish. We also saw a bald eagle, but that was it for wildlife. After Potter Marsh, we headed back into town. We spotted a hobby shop, so naturally we had to stop and check it out.
090627_5559
This place was filled to the brim with some pretty cool stuff. Of course, after about ten minutes I was finished…but Hunter was just getting warmed up. I eventually had to drag him out, lol.

We headed downtown to find a souvenir shop. As it turned out, there was some sort of festival going on so the streets were blocked off and parking was a nightmare. We managed to find an empty spot in the army/navy store parking lot, and snatched it up. Of course, this meant we had to buy something there or run the risk of getting booted…so we checked out the store and found the greatest discovery yet. This was our find:
090630_5611
Isn’t that priceless? As soon as I saw it, I knew we had to get it. I mean really, how could we pass this up?! I love it!

We left downtown and by this time we needed to head back to the house. Marc and Ann had gotten a babysitter for Dane, and the four of us headed to Girdwood for dinner.
090627_5230
Girdwood is a pretty little town a bit higher in the mountains, and we enjoyed the beautiful drive along Turnagain Arm. We ate at the Chair 5 restaurant, and it was really good!
090627_5237
Hunter and I both had halibut…yum. The drive back into Anchorage was a beautiful one.
090628_5175
It was a wonderful evening with some of the coolest people I know. :)

1 comment:

Nathan and Esther said...

That hunter is a bottle is hysterical!