Sunday, July 5, 2009

On the Road Again

The following refers to day ten of our journey: Monday, June 29th.
ak so day 1
Hunter wanted to hit the road by 9:00 am, but we didn’t make it. The bed was so cozy, and the thought of getting back in the car and driving forever just didn’t seem appealing. We finally faced the fact that it had to be done, and roused ourselves. The process of showering, packing, and getting road-ready seemed endless…but finally we were ready. I said goodbye to Ann, and we were off.
090629_5542
We stopped for food about 45 minutes later, and fed the Mazda too. We drove for hours, finally reaching Tok around 5:00 pm. We stopped for dinner and then headed for the border. We reached the border at 8:45 pm; as soon as we crossed it became 9:45 pm.
090629_5550
090629_5549
Crazy how that happens! I didn’t mind it so much when we were picking up time, but I don’t like losing it! The good news is that it doesn’t get dark, so we had plenty of light to drive by. We stopped at a campground somewhere in the tundra around 10:30 pm, but promptly nixed that plan. The sites weren’t terribly impressive and the mosquitoes were horrendous! Hunter was wide awake and decided to keep driving. We finally reached Congdon Creek Campground around 12:30 am. I was really crossing my fingers that this site would work, because I was so tired. As soon as we entered the campground, we were greeted by this frightening sight:
090630_5505
Are you kidding me? It’s the end of June, so technically we should be safe, but FREAKY FRIDAY…do I want to take that chance?? I was sooo nervous, and I think even Hunter was a little apprehensive. However, we did find other tent campers here so we were somewhat reassured by this. The campground was beautiful, too…hardly any skeeters and the sites actually had tent spots. We’ve found that most of the campgrounds accommodate RVs more than tent campers, so it’s a rare find to discover a campsite with a tent spot. We deemed it acceptable and parked the car.
090630_5506
Our poor car is so filthy...we just had to take a picture. Notice how light the sky is? This picture was taken at 12:30 am...this is as dark as it ever got. Crazy! Between the never-ending light and the time zone changes, it's no wonder we are sleeping at all the wrong times!

5 comments:

Smiley Family said...

I can't get over how light it is at 12:30 am!! That would completely throw me off. And that sign - you are much braver than I would have been. FREAKY!

Monica said...

I was behind on your posts. I loved your post of the airplane tour. All of your pictures are amazing and I can't wait to see them in a book.

ang said...

i can't believe you slept in the scary bear woods!!!!

Sandy said...

We're so grateful the bears didn't get you! I LOVE the pine trees...but not those scary creatures!

Nathan and Esther said...

I would have been freaked out by the sign too! I think i would have slept in the car.