Monday, July 6, 2009

...And More Driving...

The following refers to day eleven of our journey: Tuesday, June 30th.
ak so day 2
Since we had made such great progress yesterday, Hunter decided not to set the alarm today and just wake up whenever we felt like it. Once again, I’m not going to tell you what time we woke up…but it was ridiculous. Apparently we were very cozy and extremely tired…and our neighbors were awfully quiet. Needless to say, it was later than we wanted it to be! We packed up camp and headed out once again.

We travelled for just over an hour before we stopped for food.
090630_5511
I had a very unremarkable turkey sandwich…I still can’t believe we paid money for that darn thing. We stopped for gas in Whitehorse, and journeyed onward. We haven’t seen much in the way of wildlife since leaving Anchorage, which is somewhat disappointing. Although I hate to say that, because if it means we’re safe from the grizzly critters while in our campsite then I’m completely okay with that!

Around 8:30 pm we spotted a very large, ominous cloud up ahead.
090630_5514
090630_5518
Before we knew it we were in the middle of a gullywasher, which suddenly turned to hail. It was pretty intense...we pulled over to let it pass. It didn't last long, thankfully. We were still seeing some interesting clouds, though.

090630_5601
We drove until about 10:15, when we were lucky enough to find a decent campsite. We set up camp, ate dinner, and conked out for the night. Mmmm...sleep. :)

5 comments:

Mark Nott said...

will you post a map with your route on it? I'd love to see which way you went.

rsheedy said...

Mark...funny you should ask. I was just adding the map for that day's journey when I saw your comment. I'll be adding maps each day for the rest of our route home...if you want more info (like the route up) let me know. :)

Mark Nott said...

It was the journey home I was curious about... your reaction time was incredible :)

ang said...

your trip is so well documented with amazing pictures!

Nathan and Esther said...

those clouds did look pretty ugly, glad you didn't get washed away.