Thursday, July 2, 2009

Anchorage Arrival

The following refers to day six of our journey: Thursday, June 25th.

Hunter’s birthday today! For his birthday, I took him to Anchorage…don’t I spoil him?! We slept really well in our beautiful campground, and somehow managed to get ourselves out of bed around 8:30 that morning. We broke camp and left at 9:29 am (local time). Right off the bat we saw a very large moose drinking out of a lake near the road. I still can’t get over the size of these guys! A few minutes later we saw a camper pulled over, checking out another nearby moose. This guy was a lot smaller…more like the guys we are used to seeing in Utah. There's no moose in this picture; just a random shot of some Alaska scenery:
090625_4586
Some time later we stopped in Glennallen for breakfast. Hunter had orange juice and I had sprite; when Hunter tasted his oj he remarked that it had an unusual fizz to it, as if someone had mixed it with sprite. I tasted it and gagged…the stuff was fermented! Yuck. The rest of our meal was pretty good; we just had to avoid the oj.

More Alaska scenery...we started seeing bigger, more imposing mountains with a lot more snow. So stinking cool!
090625_4604
090626_4575
We drove for several hours, and I snoozed a bit. By this point in our journey we were both pretty worn out. Of course, I don’t think I have a valid reason for this fatigue since Hunter’s been doing all the driving…but I was definitely tired. The drive seemed to stretch on for hours. I was anxious to reach Anchorage and could not wait to see my friends Ann and Marc again, and as a result the miles just crawled. Finally, after an interminably long afternoon, we entered the city limits.

Ann was my roommate for almost two years when I first moved to Utah County, and I love her to death. She is one of the coolest, smartest, and most genuine people I have ever met. While we were roommates, she was a journalist for the Daily Herald and her now-husband Marc was a photographer for the same paper. He was hired by the Anchorage Daily News, and she eventually followed him. They married a few years later and now have a three year old son named Dane. They are expecting their second child in the next couple of weeks, so Ann is quite pregnant…which makes me that much more grateful for her hospitality. What a woman! I can’t believe it has taken me so long to visit them…but hey, I finally made it here! It was so good to see them again. I met Dane for the first time, and he is adorable. He’s also incredibly smart…he just turned three about a month ago, and he knows the entire alphabet and can name every letter by sight. Impressive!


Ann served us some delicious pizza, and we stayed up talking and reconnecting. It was their first time meeting Hunter, and they were so good to both of us. Ann even made a delectable birthday cake for Hunter! I love good friends, because it doesn’t matter how long it’s been since you’ve seen them; once you’re together again it’s like nothing has ever changed. We spent a very nice evening chatting, and then finally turned in. I think my husband enjoyed his birthday. :)

2 comments:

ang said...

those mountains are beautiful!!!

more, more, more, more!

Nathan and Esther said...

what a great birthday!