Sunday, June 14, 2009

Critters

We went camping this weekend...big surprise. We went back to the Spruces campground in Big Cottonwood Canyon; it is sooo pretty there! This time the Rigbys joined us for the first night. Have I mentioned how much I love their little Madison? I could seriously keep her.
090614_4049
090614_4073
When we arrived, the skies were blue and it was actually pretty warm...especially compared to the last time we camped here. Esther grilled us up some YUMMY dinner, and Hunter and I took Maddie for a walk. That girl has energy, holy cow! Whenever she would get excited she would jump up and down, so I started doing it with her...it just made her jump that much harder! I swear she would jump for ten minutes straight, while I almost passed out after 15 seconds. Why can't we have that kind of energy as adults? Seriously unfair, I tell ya.

Anyway, while we walked Hunter took a lot of photos. We couldn't get over how green everything was...it was gorgeous.
090614_4053
090614_4058
090614_4060
090614_4062
090614_4065
090614_4084
090614_4067
090614_4063
After the walk we sat around the fire and chatted for a bit. Just as it was getting dark it started to rain, so we figured that was our cue and went to bed. Where it proceeded to rain all night long...no exaggeration. I've said it before...I LOVE sleeping in a tent while it's raining. I swear it is the coziest thing ever.

The rain stopped the next morning, and the Rigbys left so Nathan could get to work on time. Of course, they took Maddie with them...so sad! Hunter and I entertained ourselves by watching the potguts...they were pretty brave! We couldn't get over how funny they were acting.
090614_4090
090614_4094
090614_4101
This morning while we were lying in our tent, one of these guys tried to pull a fast one. We're not sure if he was actually trying to get into the tent, or if he wanted to burrow under it; either way he was messing with something he shouldn't have been. Hunter knocked the tent and sent him running...he only went about 10-15 feet away, before he turned and hollered at us for a good five minutes! He was NOT HAPPY...and we couldn't stop laughing. It was great.

So yeah, back to yesterday. After ambling around camp and finishing my book we decided to go for a walk. There aren't many options there in camp, so we went to Doughnut Falls again. Of course, on our way back it started to rain. By the time we reached our campsite we were both soaked through! Yikes. We hid out in the tent and waited for the storm to stop...it lasted for quite a while! I can't believe how much rain we've been getting lately. I, personally, love it...although I did get pretty cold yesterday. Nonetheless, we changed into dry clothes and survived quite nicely.
090614_4106
090614_4080
090614_4078
090614_4115
090614_4114
090614_4110
Oh yeah, and this time we saw two moose!! We didn't get any pictures this time, but these guys were just hanging around our campsite. They were huge! Needless to say, we kept our distance.

All in all, I'd say it was a pretty awesome weekend.

6 comments:

Jen said...

Great pictures! Brave kids sleeping out in the rain!

All About M.E.('s) said...

I got over sleeping in a tent a long time ago, but your posts make me want to do it again! Looks like you guys had a great camping trip. And, two moose, that is fabulous!

ang said...

pretty pictures - as always

Nathan and Esther said...

We sure did have a lot of fun with you guys...too bad we had to leave so early, and that it was raining.

Brett and Andrea Evers said...

I love your blog. You take such great pictures! Hearing about all your fun adventures makes me smile. I'm excited to see your Alaska pictures when you get back!

Smiley Family said...

Fun trip! I need to take better advantage of the canyons. They are so close and yet I don't get up there very often - that needs to change!! And it's true, I would be fit as a fiddle if I had the same energy that my kids have!