Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Rural Routes

Hunter was going to ride the Pony Express trail yesterday, but the weather wasn't exactly conducive to motorcycle riding. So we took the Suzy instead. I was looking forward to a relaxing adventure of sorts.

It started out great. The low clouds and light rain made for a cozy ride, and I had a very difficult time keeping my eyes open. We drove and drove, and then Hunter stopped the car...so I opened my eyes. I saw this sign:
090427_1314
Updated: The sign says "Travel ahead is through extensive desert regions. Extra fuel, water and equipment is recommended." Sure makes things sound dire, doesn't it?!

Well guess what...we came fully prepared. So take that, dire sign!
090427_1313

The rain made for some gorgeous scenery:
090427_1317
090427_1318
090427_1326

We encountered quite a few sheep:
090427_1322
090427_1323
090427_1324

We also found a cool ATV trail that we just had to take:
090427_1332
090427_1328
090427_1329
090427_1330
090427_1334

About twenty minutes before this shot was taken, I realized I had made a fatal error. You see, I left the house that morning without bringing my required dosage of ibuprofen. It may sound like an innocent mistake, but it resulted in some pretty miserable consequences. It's like this: once a month, ibuprofen saves me from a slow and agonizing (emphasis on agonizing) death. A death I almost experienced yesterday, because we could not race home fast enough. I have not been in this kind of pain for quite a while...because having learned my lesson years ago, I'm typically much better prepared. I guess it was due time for another reminder.

So the moral of the story? The Pony Express trail is pretty desolate but rather cool. Rainclouds make awesome lighting. Sheep look odd when they have just been sheared. Suzy can go anywhere an ATV can go. And whatever you do, DON'T leave home without your ibuprofen.

Oh yeah, and don't expect sympathy from your husband. After all, real men don't get cramps.

P.S. All photos were taken by Hunter because I was too ___________ to get out of the car.

7 comments:

Kaila said...

What did the sign say? I can't quite make it out.

Zachary said...

That is awesome! I am jealous of all the road trips that you guys take! They look like so much fun!

Monica said...

I love your adventures! It reminds me when I was a kid. My dad would always take us on these crazy drives. Good times.

All About M.E.('s) said...

Did Hunter make you run behind the vehicle? Is that how you got all of the shots of the outside of the vehicle?
I hear you on the ibuprofen, although thanks to the childbearing/nursing years, I haven't really had to deal with it in 4 years.
Anyway, fabulous pictures!

Nathan and Esther said...

Those pictures sure are cool! I'm glad you didn't die, cus then who would I mooch stuff off of?

The Wright's said...

What a fun drive, minus, of course, the agony. Sorry about that!! But I'm glad you survived.

ang said...

beautiful pictures!!!!