Thursday, April 30, 2009

Can You Repeat That?

This was us last week:

Minding our own business, driving our RC cars. This is my Toyota FJ and I love him:

We had a lot of fun driving these guys on the dirt mounds and exploring this vacant field:

Sure, it was all fun and games until the allergies kicked in. Then I turned into this:
Eww, that is seriously gross. Anyway the point is that I had the worst allergy attack I've had in several years. I was sneezing like it was my job. It was pretty miserable so I took some allergy medication and went to bed.

The next morning I woke up...and something was weird. I couldn't hear out of my left ear! I felt kinda dizzy and odd but figured something in my ear was probably swollen from those awful allergies. So I moved on with my life and went to work. Well my ear was still funky again the next day, and needless to say it was driving me nuts. At this point I thought maybe it was a wax problem (gross), and bought some over-the-counter drops.

Sunday morning brought a miracle, and I was cured! I could hear was great. Unfortunately, it didn't last. The problem came back on Tuesday and Hunter tried to look in my ear and determine the problem. He decided it wasn't ear wax at all, and thought I had a cyst or fluid or something in there. Then he made a joke about it being larvae, and it was all over. I couldn't sleep AT ALL that night, and wanted to dig out my eardrum so I could wash it off and make sure nothing was growing in there. All I could think about was botfly larvae...I've made the mistake of watching the medical/science channel a little too much and I've seen examples of this. I was even going to post a picture on here, but if you want to see botfly larvae in a human you'll have to do your own damn search. I started one and I'm still throwing up. NASTY! That's all I have to say about that.

The good news is that I finally got into the doctor and I do not have larvae in my ear. PRAISES! Not that I really thought this was the problem, but yikes. You get an idea like that in your head and, well, I'll need therapy for the rest of my life now. As it turns out, the problem was caused by eustachian tube has swollen shut and the fluid is trapped in my ear. Fortunately, it is not infected and doesn't just means I'm kinda deaf in one ear.

Hey, I'll take that over a botfly any day!


Smiley Family said...

Yeah, thanks for NOT posting a pic of the botfly - I've seen it, and it IS nasty!! Double ew! Glad to hear (hehe) you figured out the problem :)

Jen said...

LOL! What a great blogger you are! I'm so glad it's not a botfly. That would be pretty disgusting. Sorry you have ear fun!

Monica said...

I'm glad you got it all figured out. Did he say how long it takes to clear up? Hopefully soon. And thank goodness there is no larvae in your ear. Ick. That would be a nightmare. I don't think I would ever sleep peacefully again. :)

All About M.E.('s) said...

Eeeewwww. I, too, am so glad that it was not some sort of larvae. I watched something recently, where someone was having weird symptoms and it turned out the person had a worm in his brain. Now if that isn't pleasant, what is??
Anyway, glad everything turned out well and I hope you get your hearing back soon!!!

Nathan and Esther said...

you crack me up! I'm very glad you didn't post pictures of icky botflies! I would have to boycott your blog for a while. I'm glad are feeling better. I am a little grossed out by that sneezing pic, though.