Monday, November 17, 2008

Imagine

"The shortest distance between two points represents a complete lack of imagination." I came across this saying the other day and had to smile...it describes my husband to a T. Case in point:
down
This was our route to Henrieville last Friday. Does it look very much like a straight line? Not so much. This is what most of us would consider to be the scenic route. For Hunter, it's a standard-issue trip to the in-laws. Because for Hunter, there really is no such thing as a "standard-issue trip". The journey is just as important as the destination.

This has taken some getting used to, for me. I tend to be task-oriented. If I need to go somewhere, my focus is on the arrival. As a result, I-15 is the only road I know...and I know it way too well! Now that Hunter is the family route-planner, I have become more familiar with numerous "back" roads...roads that are more scenic and far less congested. And so much fun to travel! I've discovered that travelling is so much better when you relax and stop fixating on arriving. You know the saying "stop and smell the roses"? Well this is particularly true when travelling. And believe me, it is worth the effort.

For example, the drive between Torrey and Escalante is one of the most scenic, breathtaking drives in the country. Motorcyclists come from all over to ride this stretch not only for the scenery, but also the exquisite twisties. And it's right here in our backyard! Not convinced? Maybe this will help:
heaven_0477 heaven_0478ms
heaven_0487
heaven_0494 mttc
heaven_0496 mttc
heaven_0513mttc
heaven_0514pretty
It turned out to be a wonderful (all-day) journey. Courtesy of my husband, the ultimate trip-planner. Is it any wonder I like hanging out with him so much??

1 comment:

Smiley Family said...

I definitely prefer the scenic route, thanks to my dad. I still don't think he has ever taken the 1-15 route to Henrieville :)