Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Reminiscings

When I was a kid, it seemed to me that everyone else's relatives would always come visit. Memorial day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving...you name it, the relates came to town. Me & my siblings would go to church and there would be tons of 'new' people there, all visiting one of the families in town. I was jealous.

The Johnson kids (me & the rest of the clan) knew we had the coolest relates EVER. But we didn't get to 'prove it' very often, because we lived in the sticks. I longed for the day when all those awesome Lifferths would show up in church, and everyone could see how cool the Johnsons really are...because they have cool relatives. It's really true, I dreamed for this to happen.

Well, one day I went on a mission. And it was pretty crazy cuz my brother was already serving his, and he left six months before I did. So, amazingly enough, we were able to come home on the same flight!! Woohoo! Of course, this is a familiar story for most of you. But there's a little bit more, that maybe you don't know about. When Jed and I had our joint mission report, the Lifferths came to town. Our Henrieville ward quadrupled in size, and it was literally a dream come true for me! It was awesome...we had so much family in town, and Jed and I were both so honored by this. All these cool people in town, just because we share a little bit of DNA. Amazing.

And the best part? The yearly sequels! Our cool family decided maybe we do like to hang out in the sticks together, so our annual good times have evolved into the always-anticipated Ruby's Inn Retreat. And boy am I looking forward to it this year!

I'd like to close with some pictures of Rachie sitting in church, wistfully dreaming about Lifferth visits in Henrieville...but of course, I don't have any. So instead, I'll leave you with Johnson family pics, vintage style. Love you guys! We look forward to hanging out with many of you this weekend. :)
B0004644
B0004645
B0004625
B0004638
B0004639

9 comments:

Mark N. said...

Woohoo! It's almost here!

Thanks for this post, I've been trying to figure out how it all got started, I had forgotten.

Welcome Back From Oklahoma!

The Lund Five said...

Nice vintage pictures. I am so excited for tomarrow. It can't come soon enough. I just barely finished my craft for the craft table. It turned out really cute! We'll see you there!!!

ang said...

these pictures totally rock!!

Zachary said...

WOO HOO!!! RUBY'S INN 2008!! Isn't this the 11th year or something?

All About M.E.('s) said...

CAN'T WAIT!!!! Cute pictures- those kids look familiar :).

Savannah Weech said...

I used to dream of the time when you're relates would come to town too, so I would have someone to talk to!!! I love your blog, by the way.

rsheedy said...

Zach, you're right...it's the 11th year! But hey, did you really need to point out how long I've been home...lol!

Becca said...

Loving the memories. Funny pics. Wish I could be there this year!

The Wright's said...

I love Aunt Sandy's hair!! Great. It WAS a wonderful weekend, wasn't it?? I LOVE the retreat - it's awesome.