Sunday, February 3, 2008

Woman of Wonder

I just finished reading Aunt Tanna's book about Grandma Lifferth. It's difficult to put my thoughts & feelings into words, but I was so moved by this experience that I feel compelled to try.

I really didn't know Grandma very well. The few times I saw her, when I was younger, were at family events, so I was one of many. Very very many! I do remember one time when I was a kid and we went to Montana, and we must have arrived a day before anyone else showed up. I think we had travelled with Richard's family, but other than that we were the only grandkids there. Somehow I ended up with grandma out on the large second-floor balcony, and we chatted for a bit. I asked her why birds flew south for the winter, and she proceeded to explain the process in amazing detail. After she finished I just grinned and said, "No, grandma, they fly because it's too far to walk!" Grandma actually laughed! She chuckled and told me I was just silly, and then chuckled some more. She couldn't get over how silly & unexpected my reply was. I, on the other hand, was very proud of myself for having successfully delivered a joke. It was, and continues to be, a rare experience!!!

As I began reading Tanna's book, I figured that I knew most of the story...even though I really didn't know Grandma on a personal level. Well, I now know otherwise! I had heard many stories from my mama, and I knew somewhat of the hardships and difficulties they faced year after year. But I had no clue about the true extent of their suffering. I am not typically an emotional person, but this book was heartwrenching. I found myself sobbing on more than one occasion. I have such tremendous love and respect for my grandparents, and to better understand their ceaseless pain & heartache only deepens my admiration for them. Tanna did such an amazing job, telling their story in a way that made it so personal. I almost felt I was watching them live their life, rather than reading about it.

I am so full of gratitude for Tanna, as I know this must have been the most difficult undertaking imaginable. What a daunting endeavor, and yet she rose to the task and completed it perfectly. I don't think Grandma's story could have been detailed with more accuracy, compassion, and respect. I am so incredibly thankful for the gift Tanna has given us all, especially those of us who did not know Grandma as well as we would have liked. Her life was certainly a legacy that will be remembered and cherished by her posterity, and Tanna has made this possible. Tanna, you are my hero! Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, dear Rachael,I am so grateful you were touched by this wonderful book about dear Grandma Lifferth! Yes, Aunt Tanna did an awesome job! It is very rewarding to have her grandchildren come to know what an incredible, faithful person she is and the positive influence she has been in all of our lives! How blessed we are to be related to such an angel!

Your Mother

kaparowitzzz said...

hey, how did you get the book in advance of the german dinner?

The Lund Five said...

I agree with everything you said. Dave and I have been reading the book together and we are almost done. I have learned a lot of things reading this book that I didn't know before. Tanna did a great job. It must have taken her a long time to do the research and writing and I am so thankful for her efforts so that we can have that piece of history.

The Carter Family: said...

I agree with everything you said! I started the book and couldn't put it down until I was done. It was very incredible and absolutely amazing!! I had no idea how hard their life really was. She is a wonderful example and the book made me realize how far I have to go to be the kind of person she is!!

kaparowitzzz said...

so where is everyone getting this book from?

Nathan and Esther said...

That was so sweet, Rachie! I love Grandma Lifferth and I can't wait to read that book.

p.s. Don't worry Jed I don't have that book yet either.

Zachary said...

Hey...how the heck did you all get copies of the book? So much for "favorite nephew" privileges. Come on!

All About M.E.('s) said...

Well said Rachael. I definitely learned a few things that I didn't know. She is an amazing woman and learning more about her makes me want to be a better mom/wife/person.

Becca said...

I just finished the book on Friday. I am truly amazed at what Grandma went through. 13 kids and only two spankings! I need to learn alot more patience. The book really made me appreciate grandma and my own mother.