Monday, February 25, 2008

How to Build a Kick-A Media Center

For starters, you need to marry the smartest computer dude ever invented. Once that's done, you can proceed to the next step.
media center 001
Begin.
media center 003
BIOSTAR TForce TP35D2-A7 LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 Allendale 2.2GHz 2M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor.

media center 004
Motherboard & CPU assembled.
media center 005
standoffs for motherboard.
media center 006
remove huge fan to get motherboard in.
media center 007
Motherboard in.
media center 008
power button, front usb and case lights plugged in to motherboard.
media center 009
replace huge fan, add power supply.
media center 010
lots of ram. G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory.
media center 011
Ram in place.
media center 012
Shiny.
media center 014
power to motherboard and cpu.
media center 015
the secret weapon. Leadtek WinFast PX8800 GTS TDH GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card.
media center 016
will void the room of air if pointed the wrong way.
media center 017
graphic card installed, with power applied.
media center 018
from computer to tivo.
media center 020
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 1800 MCE Kit 1128 NTSC/ATSC/QAM/FM TV Tuner Card w/MCE Remote
media center 022
TV tuner card in place
media center 023
starting to look busy.
media center 024
do you like it loud?
media center 025
DIAMOND XtremeSound XS71 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card
media center 027
sound card in place.
media center 028
looking really busy.
media center 029
hard drives. up top: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA-300 Hard Drive.
media center 031
Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA-150 Hard Drive
media center 032
a nylon bag for what?
media center 035
hard drives in cage.
media center 037
cage in place.
media center 038
power and data to hard drives.
media center 040
forgot something.
media center 041
rescued an old cheapie from the bin.
media center 043
vent off!
media center 044
vent on!
media center 048
relocated the cheapie for the short data cables.
media center 051
Rosewill R604-P SL 120mm Fan ATX Mid Tower Computer Case.
media center 052
stickers to increase speed.
media center 053
now the real fun begins (installing windows vista).
media center 056
Hiding in basement so as to not frighten guests.
media center 063
Enjoy.

14 comments:

Nathan and Esther said...

You completely lost me after you said 'marry the smartest computer dude ever invented'. I kind of thought you were building a spaceship because I kept seeing motherboard a lot. But I really have no clue what just happened.

The Lund Five said...

I have to agree with Easther. You lost me. It made me have to think too hard. Now my brain hurts. It is a cool TV though.

kaparowitzzz said...

nice, now can you build me one?

Monica said...

Holy Smokes! What did you just say?!

Are you having a get together any time soon? :)

Zachary said...

Dag Burn! That is nice! As one who appreciates such fine workmanship, I tip my hat to you!

rsheedy said...

I should clarify...my husband built this, not me!! He is the computer genius in the family.

ang said...

i'm pretty sure i have no idea what's going on here...

Anonymous said...

Myth tv boxes rock, I have been wanting to make one for a long time but the funds are not there yet... I am jealous

Brian Smiley

Becca said...

What the !!!! Someone has too much time on their hands. It's nice to see our tax dollars at work. Ha ha

All About M.E.('s) said...

Uhhhhh.....

THE BRADY BUNCH said...

Wow - well, I liked the TV after I got passed all the english? I didn't know and the pictures that I couldn't even figure out what they were!! Strong work - next time I need to build my computer I'll do your step by step!!

Anonymous said...

Your only downside was installing Vista... especially when there are so many "free" versions of XP ;-)

Brian Smiley

Zachary said...

Just one question...what exactly is this "A" to which the "kick" will be directed?

Mark N. said...

All that and no blu-ray? Tisk tisk, but if it's going to be in the basement, that wouldn't make any sense anyways huh? Otherwise not bad, not bad at all.