Saturday, December 29, 2007

Where to Start?!

Boy, do I have a lot of catching up to do. And there's no way to do it justice...I've neglected you, my dear blog buddies, for too long! What a busy, wonderful & crazy time of year.

Hunter and I commenced our Christmas celebration last Friday, when we headed to Henrieville. When Becca got married, the Johnson family began the tradition of spending Thanksgiving together, and Christmas with our in-laws one year, and vice versa the next year. This year we were to have Christmas with the Johnsons. However, my sisters' families are growing, and it's virtually impossible for them to transport their Christmas loot anymore. Not to mention the additional problem of space...nobody has a house big enough to hold all of us! So, we reached a feasible compromise that worked out quite well.

We spent the weekend before Christmas in Henrieville, and all of my sisters and their families were able to be there. Some of us stayed at the Grand-Staircase Inn in Cannonville, so we all had a bed to sleep in. It worked out quite beautifully, and it was so nice to spend time with my family even if it was only for a short time. When Sunday came, we returned to our respective homes.

On Christmas eve day, Hunter and I headed to the Bradshaws' place in Tooele. The Rigbys and my parents joined us, and we proceeded to celebrate. I love spending the holidays with kids; it seems so much more magical and exciting. Sarah & Brady were so gracious to host our Christmas shin-dig, and put us up for a night. It was a full house, and it was great to be together.

And then it was over. But actually, that's okay because I was ready to go back to bed. And you know what else is great about Christmas being over? I can share my projects with you! Yay! This year I drew Becca's name, and on Hunter's side we had his brother Wayne's family. I found the cutest idea right here, so I made a set for each family. Of course, I forgot to take my own pictures of them before I gave them away, so you have to click the link to check it out. As I mentioned, I found the idea on Jessica Sprague's website, but she also provided a link to Ali Edwards' version which you can check out here. I just think it's the cutest idea, and I love how they look when they are attached directly to the wall. I used paper-mache boxes I found at Zim's, and painted them green, red & cream. I used Jessica's idea and put the scripture references she provided inside the lid of each box. I also put an activity idea inside each box. It was a fun project, but by the time I was finished, I was ready to be done!

My next project is also brought to you courtesy of Jessica Sprague. She is a genius, and I wouldn't have any ideas if it weren't for her wonderful blog. This one is kind of a late Christmas gift, because I didn't find out about it until just before Christmas. Nevertheless, it is in the works and I am excited to see how it turns out. I made a non-seasonal version because I wanted something I could leave up year-round. Of course I made a version for myself, and one for the Albrechts since we had their name. And, ironically, they had our name and they were very good to us! So here is a glimpse of their belated Christmas gift:
wall decoration copy
wall decoration pg2 copy
wall decoration pg3 copy
Here's a look at the middle page of the Sheedy version:
wall decoration sheedy pg2 copy
So, yay! I love this stuff. If I remember to do it, I'll take a picture of the finished product. I'm still waiting for the prints to be delivered from Shutterfly, so progress is on hold for now.

Phew. Was that enough information for one day, or shall I keep going? LOL.

4 comments:

The Carter Family: said...

I loved what you made Becca and are currently making her! You always do such a great job making homemade gifts!!!!

Anonymous said...

Awesome, Rachie! You mentioned using a Xyron 900. I checked my box and that is exactly what the Carters gave me for Christmas! Yeah!! (Now I need to learn how to use it!)

By the way, as your mother and aunt to all you bloggers out there I LOVE reading your blogs! It helps to keep families together!

Love ya,
Mother (Aunt Sandy)

All About M.E.('s) said...

I love your projects. The advent calendar is so cute and I love the saying that you chose for Becca's gift. You are so talented!!

Smiley Family said...

Great projects!! Super cute! I can't wait to see the final product. I am going to have to check out those two blogs from time to time. I can always use a little extra inspiration.