Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Speaking Philosophically...

I love crazy, random coincidences. Carl Jung termed this phenomenon "synchronicity", which wikipedia defines as the experience of two or more events which occur in a meaningful manner, but which are causally unrelated. Here are a few of my firsthand examples:

  • I have a brother named Jed, which is not a common name. The name of my first brother-in-law? Also Jed. Seriously, what are the chances?
  • As if two brothers with the same name isn't enough, the next two Johnson girls to get married had to marry guys with the same name. Now I have two brothers (one real, one in-law) named Jed and two brothers (in-law) named Brady. Again I ask you, what are the chances?! I'm seriously amazed that me and Esther managed to marry guys with original names...original to our family, that is!
  • When my brother and I were both serving our missions, he in Indiana and me in Oklahoma, he was transferred to the city of Wabash for his last area. Interestingly enough, he also lived on Wabash street. I was also in my last area (we actually came home from our missions on the same flight), and after living in one apartment for a few weeks we moved to a new apartment. On Wabash street. Jed and I both lived on Wabash street for the last few months of our missions. Kinda crazy!
  • A few years ago, I watched the movie Amelie, which I love. The music is awesome, and there is one piece that is especially moving; a piano piece that is both haunting and soulful. I bought the soundtrack, and commenced a search for the sheet music. I searched high and low, with no luck. My friend was finally able to find a copy available for purchase online, but it would ship from France and wouldn't arrive for 6-8 weeks. Hey, at least I'd have it! I made the purchase, and 6-8 weeks later received a notice that the item was no longer in stock and would not be available ever again. At least, not from that site anyway. I was never able to attain the sheet music.

    So, I was on my second or third date with Hunter, and he happened to show me a video. This video, in fact. I should warn you, it has the tendency to make me cry!

    It's the song from Amelie! And...get ready for it...Hunter had the sheet music!!!! YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME! I knew right then and there he was my man!
  • On my tenth or twentieth date with Hunter (it's all a big blur...lol...), we were talking about his upcoming family reunion. It was going to be held in southern Utah, and we'd be meeting up with his immediate family in St. George. Hunter's dad had just sent him the itinerary, which he showed to me. The next stop after St. George? Cannonville! That's right, Cannonville...three miles from Henrieville, my hometown! The population of both towns is literally no more than 150-200...and as it turns out, Hunter is related to our good family friends the Thompsons! They live in Henrieville, and were hosting the reunion that year. Hunter's mom is a Thompson! Talk about a small world. We were pretty amazed to make this discovery.

There are many more examples I could cite, but these are the most compelling. I love these little joys in life; the random connections and happenstance occurances that seem so unlikely, yet actually occur. In my opinion, this is often the result of divine orchestration. What are some of your examples? I'd love to hear about them!

8 comments:

The Carter Family: said...

Hey, you need to make me a copy of that music-I would love to have it! Also, besides us all marrying guys with the same names, we all married guys that went to school together! Now it is great since Becca and I can live in the same town and hang out with Sarah when they come to visit her in-laws! Those were some great examples that you had!

Nathan and Esther said...

I love those examples! I need a copy of that music also it is so beautiful. well here's a crazy for you. My visiting teacher served in the same mission as one of my friends from high school. Wierd. Of course you can always recount mom and dad's history. Didn't they say they could have met 6 different times before they even actually did meet? I have to say the irony of you marrying a thompson relative is quite funny.

Monica said...

Thanks for reminding me of that movie. Aaron and I rented it one night and we both really liked it. That is a beautiful song.

Zachary said...

That really was a beautiful video clip. I didn't cry though. As for weird connections...I know I have a lot of them, but one or two that I remember is that one of my mission companions, his grandparents had one of their children the same day and hospital that Uncle Art's first wife passed away. They met there and became close friends. We found this out as we were serving together. Also, I once gave a shot to a girl I met in Russia, an English teacher from the States. She and I have crossed paths in the most bizarre ways over the years, including this last summer. She was with me at Daren and Ryan's Mission Homecoming/Farewell.

All About M.E.('s) said...

Very interesting post. I know I have a ton of them also, but the one I can think of right now relates to Madison's birth. Martin's grandma had been really sick with cancer while I was pregnant with Madison. She took a turn for the worse the day that I went into labor with Madison and ended up passing away within 15 minutes of Madison being born. Also, Madison was born on Jamie's birthday.

kaparowitzzz said...

One time I threw a boomerang and I forgot about it for a while and then it came back around and pow, hit me in the face. What a coincidence! I have some other stories, but I have to go now.

The Smiley Family said...

VERY interesting! I do love those crazy coincidences. Here are a couple: both mine and Brian's paternal grandmas are named Wanda, and Brian and my sister Emily served in the same mission - not at the same time, but with the same mission president.

Gretch said...

Awesome post! I LOVED the video. I've never seen that movie, I'll have to Netflix it.

As for the coincidences I'll have to think about it. Mindy that is really interesting about Madison's birth?? Zach also pretty crazy about your "31 year old" :-)