Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Quiet Moments

Check out Mindy's post...it's such a great reminder to appreciate the day-to-day moments in life. I have always assumed that it is easier for me to do this (as far as kids are concerned, anyway) than it is for my sisters, because I'm not the mama. So my time with their kids is infrequent (too infrequent) and therefore much more appreciated. And yet I still find that after a weekend in Minersville, I return home regretting that I hadn't been more patient, or more attentive, or more awake. I am reminded of a quote I found while reading Ali Edwards' blog:

"...but the biggest mistake I made is the one that most of us make while doing this. I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of the three on them sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages 6, 4, and 1. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in a hurry to get on to the next things: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less." -Anna Quindlen

I wish I were better at appreciating the moments before they are gone. This is definitely something I need to work on. :)

6 comments:

The Carter Family: said...

That was pretty funny-trying to stay awake more when you are in Minersville! HA!HA! Anyways-you always do great w/ our kids and they love seeing you and playing with you. Oh, yeah...don't forget about Brady's stuff!!!

Smiley Family said...

Life passes us by all to quickly. I think we have all looked back and wished we had slowed down and enjoyed that moment in time a little more. But like I said before, it is evident how much you love your nieces and nephews! They are lucky to have you in their lives :)

All About M.E.('s) said...

Very nice quote by Anna Quindlin. I have to agree with Jamie again, you are a great aunt (not a Great aunt a great aunt, you know what I mean). You inspire me to be a better aunt ;).

ang said...

You rock!

Looks like you are out saving the Internet one blog design at a time... ;)

kaparowitzzzzz said...

Sounds pretty shady, sheedy

kaparowitzzz said...

Yes, these blogs are great for preserving the moments, and then when you have more time to go back and relive them.