Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Man's Got Stones

Kidney stones, that is...what were you thinking?!

Every Tuesday at work we have a brief meeting to kinda touch base and keep everyone updated on our projects. Each week it's someone else's turn to facilitate the meeting and provide a little training moment that is inspirational or motivational in nature. Somehow, Hunter has managed to avoid this responsibility for a year and a half. Until today. As it turns out, he was notified yesterday and had very little time to prepare for the grand moment. As we agonized about what to do for his presentation, we joked about calling in sick. It was the perfect solution. But of course, we weren't really serious...it was just wishful thinking.

Fast-forward to this morning, and we're all gathered in the conference room. I help Hunter connect his computer to the LCD projector, and we go around the room as each person shares the major projects they are working on. While this is taking place I look over at Hunter and he is ghastly grey. He leans over and whispers to me that he's in extreme pain. I'm shocked...he was fine just moments ago, but there's no questioning he's in bad shape.

It came time for Hunter to begin his presentation, and he was struggling to focus. I took over for him, and he ducked out of the room. Fortunately, the presentation was over quickly and I went looking for my husband. He was in in my office lying on the floor, doubled over in pain. It was awful! The poor guy is practically immune to pain, so I knew it must be serious. I asked where it was hurting and he told me he was pretty sure it was a kidney stone. He'd never had one before, but he was convinced he was experiencing one now. I had been worried about his appendicitis, but the pain was located in his back, on the left side. I told him I was taking him to the ER, and he actually consented.

Of course, getting him to move to the car was another matter altogether. He could not lift himself, and I was thisclose to calling an ambulance. Hunter said no, and he finally managed to amble his way to the car. We work only blocks away from LDS Hospital, so I headed in that direction. My poor dear! He was so sick, and I was helpless to fix it.

So...we're driving down the street. Hunter is convinced he can feel the kidney stone making its way thru his gut. I shudder at the thought! As we move closer to the hospital he becomes more talkative. Eventually he tells me the stone has reached his bladder, and the worst of the pain is over. He is able to sit up and he's regaining a small amount of color. We decide to forgo the ER visit and make an appointment with the doctor instead. So we head back to work to gather the rest of our belongings and apprise the boss of the situation. A few minutes later, we're heading home.

An hour later we're at the doctor's office. Hunter had to provide a urine sample...and the offending stone made its exit with a grand 'kerplunk'. Of course, I don't really know that...I wasn't there at the time. But I've been told that's how it transpired. The doctor reminded Hunter to drink lots of liquids, and that was that. The entire episode lasted just barely three hours! It may have been excruciating, but at least it was over quickly. And now my sweetie is feeling much better. Praises!

9 comments:

Mark Nott said...

bleck! but thanks for sharing! : )

All About M.E.('s) said...

Bad news!! I think he can officially say that he has experienced something akin to labor. Poor guy! Hope it was the only one.

kaparowitzzz said...

I hope I never have to experience that!

THE BRADY BUNCH said...

We hope he's okay - congrats to him - I hear it's even WORSE than labor!!! Now he really is the man of the house for enduring it!!

Smiley Family said...

Is it uncommon for it to pass so quickly? I always thought they lasted a lot longer? Well, I am glad it is over and hopefully the only one! This is going to sound terrible, but I think it would be nice if Brian had one so he could experience "labor" :)

The Carter Family: said...

That's great Jamie-I agree, every guy needs to experience labor-of course they can't get epidurals for kidney stones! I'm glad Hunter is all better now!

Nathan and Esther said...

poor Hunter! that is odd that it happened so quickly, I also thought they lasted longer. I'm sure Hunter is glad that it didn't!

Gretch said...

Hey Rachel-its cousin Gretchen.

Wow-Poor Hunter. That is a crazy story. I'm glad it happened so fast. I've heard that those things are terribly painful! I'm glad he is on the mends. Its a good thing you work together and that you were there to take care of him.

The Wright's said...

You know, my hubby had these too. I really thought he was faking - he doesn't handle pain well. At. All. But I felt more sympathy when the doctor told me just how painful these are. So sorry that Hunter was privilaged enough to experience these! We wish him well and a speedy recovery. Oh, and drink MORE WATER! I hear that prevents them from occuring in the future.